Friday, April 12, 2013

Bread Machine Sourdough Pumpernickel Bread



I have made this bread for a couple of years, but we moved and I depended on my old recipe, which is now somewhere in the cellar stored. So back to the drawing board. Last week I tried it and it was OK, but I had soaked the wheat in the sourdough first to improve the health properties of the bread (soaked wheat digests better). But it was a bit bitter, and I thought not worth the effort. Today I'm going to try and double the SD Starter. I always start with a very good online recipe by All-recipes Allrecipes Pumpernickel Recipe and add sourdough. So I usually decrease ingredients to accommodate the SD, but with a new Breville Bread machine which bakes up to 2 1/2 lbs. loafs I have plenty of room. This is about a 2 lbs. loaf w/o Sourdough.

Adapted Recipe from Allrecipes:

In order of ingredients added to bread pan for bread machine:


1 cp warm water (watch kneading cycle to see if more water needs to be added because of high altitude and/or dryer climes)

2 Tbls vegetable oil
1/3 cp molasses
3 Tbls. cocoa
1 Tbls  caraway seed
1 1/2  tsp salt
1 1/2 cps bread flour
1 cp rye flour
1 cp whole wheat flour
2 Tbls vital wheat gluten
2 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast (for high altitude decrease by 1/2 tsp.

Directions:

  1. To make this a Sourdough Pumpernickel Bread first add 1 cp Sourdough starter to the bread machine pan with the water (I decreased the water by an 1/8 cp. and I'll check when it's kneading if it needs more water, or more flour, last time I baked it I added about 1/2 cp flour Bread Flour, I'm at High Altitude where it's also dry so this can vary by area).
  2. Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. I usually select a light crust setting because the Pumpernickel can easily burn on the outside & taste strong. Use a Whole Wheat Bread setting (it's a bit longer a cooking cycle).

No comments:

Post a Comment