Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Spring Vanilla Pound Cake


For Easter this year I wanted to have a light pound cake to celebrate Spring. This has been my go-to recipe for a few years. Once I made it for a gathering at a Chef's house and they wanted the recipe now- online! I kind of was embarrassed because it was an adaption of a cake mix by The Cake Doctor. I've had her cookbooks for over a decade using them for quick and delicious cakes for a large family. I knew I could whip a cake up quick if one of the kids asked for one within hours and they would be delicious!


Vanilla Pound Cake

4 Large Eggs
1 cup Whole Milk
1 cup Vegetable oil like Canola
2 tsp. Vanilla (my own addition)
1 Box Plain Yellow Cake Mix
1 3.4 oz vanilla instant pudding mix (the small box)
1/4 cup All Purpose flour (for high altitude- please see note below)

-Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Add milk and oil and vanilla and whisk a bit more. 
-Add cake mix and then the pudding on top. The pudding I mix into the cake mix with a fork to avoid lumps and the same with the flour if you add it.
-Use an electric blender and beat for 3 - 4 minutes (more if you are at High Altitude).
-Butter and then flour a Bundt pan (after adding a bit of flour-roll it around the insides- then rap onto the bundt pan over the sink to dislodge any extra flour).
-Add your whipped ingredients to your pan.

Bake for 50 - 60 mins. in a 325 degree oven till a wooden skewer comes out clean. Don't overbake.
Let cool 12 mins. or so and loosen the sides with a butter knife and put a plate on top of your bundt pan. Using potholders turn it all upside down and gently tap on your baking tin. It should loosen unto the plate that you are holding right underneath (I always hold my breath until I see the whole thing pop out!). This cake tastes great anytime- but I love the deep vanilla taste when it's cooled.
Enjoy- my husband loves it for breakfast.


  
   
   

A note about the flour- I add it because I am living at over 6,000 ft. and it keeps the batter from falling. But in recent years the size of the box mix has changed making them smaller and I came across a tip from the author- Anne Byrn to add a 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour to her recipes to bring the volume up to what it used to be. I don't live at sea level and I'm unable to test this. So it's up to you. 





No comments:

Post a Comment